"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Thursday, January 17, 2008

When he is good, he is very very good.....

....but when he's bad -- whoa! Watch out! After a wonderful string of five days where Adam was a MOST EXCELLENT baby (very few and much shorter tantrums, little to no head banging, great humor and just a whole lot of fun) last night was the no good very bad horrible night. I arrived at daycare at 5:15. I picked him up and he immediately smacked me in the face, ripping my glasses off. Ok, maybe that was the "Hey! I'm mad at you for leaving me here" smack. We take our pleasant 3 minute walk home, stopping to talk to a neighbor for 5 minutes and Adam is all smiles and cuteness again. We get to our building and make it up the steps and inside the first door without incident. I pull out the keys to open the locked inner door and Adam immediately demands the keys. As I need them to open the inner door, the mailbox, and the apartment door, I decline to give them to him. (Mean mama!) He throws himself on the floor, shrieking and banging his head. I gather him up and deposit him in front of the apartment door, while I get the mail, only steps away. He continues his shrieking and head banging. I drag him into the apartment against his will, wrestle his coat off and get him a bottle. He takes two or three swallows and throws the bottle at the dog (with remarkable aim, hitting the poor pup). Clearly angry, I tell him firmly "No throwing". At which point, we're back to shrieking and head banging and hitting me. He retrieves the bottle and drinks for a few minutes then points to the kitchen and we trudge off to see what he wants to eat. He picks a package of frozen mac and cheese with much enthusiasm, yelling for it as if he hadn't eaten in months during the 2 and a half minutes it is in the microwave. He settles into his high chair, takes ONE elbow macaroni, eats it...and refuses another bite! AAAAIIIEEE!!!!!! It was only 5:50 at this point and I was DONE. I haven't had an uninterrupted night's sleep since September. I've only showered alone twice in four months. I'm tired now.

Hopefully, it will be a better day today. When he is good, he really is very, very good.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you contacted EI services for Adam? This program may be helpful in aiding his adjustment and language acqusition. When you think about it, we all do have our BAD days.....

Cindy, Chuck, and Rhett said...

Wow! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. You are a great Mom - hang in there.

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I completely understand your stress. Things will get better though and one of these days you'll be able to shower in peace, I promise.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy...
I can SO relate. Just realized a couple of days ago that Lucas no longer feels he must shower with me. Maybe as in the past month. So 10 months in for us. Just use it as an opportunity to get him clean and write off baths when you don't have the energy.
Just keep it up. He'll settle eventually, I think.
I do recommend EI as well. We did it as soon as we got home and it helped me for sure.
Carla

Dianna said...

Just so you know... my 3 1/2 year old Anna ALWAYS has a nasty late afternoon/evening after daycare. It's exhasuting for her, a big change from 'relaxing' days at home, and she needs more attention from us. And she's not even adopted :) Daycare is just tough on some kids. Natalie never had these issues - but Anna is a different kid who deals with things differently. Can't wait to see how Phoebe feels about daycare!