"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Friday, November 16, 2007

I spoke too soon....

...ah, the crib. It was a beautiful dream. Adam sleeping peacefully and mama finally getting a full night's sleep without Adam kicking and flopping around. Alas, the dream has yet to come to fruition. This poor child cannot stay asleep. He goes to bed willingly and cheerfully and falls asleep fairly easily. But he cannot STAY asleep. He awakens about every hour to hour and a half all night LLLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG. He wants to sleep -- he tries hard to get back to sleep but gets so frustrated when he can't get back to sleep quickly.

I spent a few days sleeping on the floor in his room next to the crib, thinking perhaps it was the fact that he'd never slept in a room alone that was giving him trouble, but it didn't make any difference.

So, he's back in my bed. I'm getting a little more sleep as I'm not actually having to get out of bed to comfort him, but not much.

Has anyone else had this problem?

His energy level is very high and his mood is mostly good, so I'm not too worried, but I'm really really tired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most likely he's getting up to be sure someone is there. Parker does this during naps. He will sleep for 2 hours if he's physically touching me, otherwise, it is 30 minutes, and he will go back to sleep if I pat him. At night, he usually wakes up exactly 1 hour after I put him in this crib, then will sleep through if I go and pick him up and comfort him.

I think it is one of those things that will probably improve with time as he becomes more secure in his relationship with you and adjusts to not having other babies around him all night. Don't forget, he's gone from being surrounded by other people at all times, to being all alone at night - that would be hard change for any adult, let alone a child who was recently adopted.

Good luck! I'm sure it will improve with love and time.

Suzanne Robinson said...

I know this may sound weird but my 3 very active children needed white noise. The silence rang in their ears when they would wake in the night so I went out and purchased cheap fans at wal*mart and put it in a corner in their room facing a wall or in the doorway to their closet.It may be worth a shot!

Anonymous said...

Try some soft music from a radio, like classical music on very softly. Does he have any toys or bears in his crib, he may like the company if he is used to close proximity to other children.
Try a monitor tht you can both hear him and yu can talk to him......he may just need to hear your voice, sing a soft song.....ot talk in comforting words.

S. said...

what.ever.works.

Is he sleeping in the bed with you or still waking up? If he is sleeping better, why not stick with it.

There is nothing wrong with co-sleeping, in fact the largest study done at UCLA that started in the 70's and followed kids who co-slept as babies and young children to adulthood were actually better adjusted than those who didn't (probably not attributed to co-sleeping but other parenting practices that usually go hand in hand)--and if you are better rested, it may be the best choice for now!

Scott and Leslie said...

Kathy,
Our son, Owen is now 3 years old and is STILL sleeping in our bed. In Korea, he slept in a "family bed" and was always close in proximity to his foster family. We have tried continually to get him in his own bed or room for that matter. Unfortunately, he has to be close to Scott or I in order to sleep. You get to the point of exhaustion and you have no other choice but to give in. I am not sure that we will ever get him out of our bed but are hopefully that the day will soon come. In the meantime, we will continue to snuggle:)). Good luck to you!