"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Hot and Heavy

Ok, so its a little hard to navigate blogspot because its all in Vietnamese so I don't know what happened with those last two posts!

The cow suitcase and I have arrived! I must confess that the cow suitcase feels like I am dragging around a whole cow -- I think I might have over packed! Hopefully, once the gifts and orphanage donations are out of it it will be more manageable.

I arrived late Friday night after a smooth, but long, trip and came in on the same flight as a couple from St. Louis, Ellen and Brian, who are picking up their son in Can Tho. I haven't hooked up with any of the other families yet.

Has anyone mentioned that its hot here? I think its 3000 degrees with 5000% hunmidity, but that's just an estimate.

The Kim Do is just lovely! Really beautifully decorated and very comfortable. And the air conditioner in my room works! (That was pretty much my main criteria for a room!) None of the hallways are airconditioned, so once you leave the room its sauna time.

I spent the day wandering around. WHen I left the hotel this morning I was immediately approached by one of those bicycle guys who wanted to drive me around. I said no, I wanted to walk. He said that was ok, he would walk with me. LOL! He followed me for blocks, chatting away until I finally caved and climbed in. He drove me to the war museum, which is very interesting and sobering. Worth seeing! My friend happily waited outside for me to finish and then drove me around the city pointing out sites. I think he might have ripped me off a teeny bit. Oh well, lesson learned!

The traffic here is absolutely hilarious! Being from the NYC area, I was prepared for the volume of it, but the seeming lack of any actual road rules and the fact that everyone just lets everyone one else cut in, or cross in front of them so nicely is VERY different. It all seems to work, somehow -- organized chaos. Found the Saigon Tax Center, and then found a nice supermarket and stocked up on snacks.

Met a man in the mall who's sister just graduated nursing school here and is taking a vacation to NY to job hunt. He wanted to know everything about NYC. He asked me to come to his house and tell his mother that she will be safe in NYC. I begged off, and decided he can bring them to the hotel to talk to me if he wants, but I'm not comfortable going to his house.

We are meeting in the lobby at 9 a.m. Sunday for the trip to Vinh Long! I can't believe the day is FINALLY almost here! More when we get back from Vinh Long.

22 comments:

Daniel and Jamie said...

Glad you made it to Vietnam! Can't wait to see pictures of you with Adam!

Anonymous said...

This post cracked me up. Have fun with your cyclo driver friend (trust me, he will wait for you outside the hotel 24-7!) and have a GREAT trip to Vinh Long. I can't believe the day is finally here for you to meet Adam! YAY!!

Ruth said...

So glad you made it! love the story :). looking forward to the next post, for sure!

Dianna said...

I'm loving it Kathy! I can't wait to hear about your trip to Vinh Long. Give Adam a squeeze for me and thank him for hanging out with Phoebe!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Blogger note for you: After you sign in, look for a drop down box in the upper right corner, below your name. Click on the box and scroll down until you see "English", click on it and the page language will reset.

You are going to have an amazing day tomorrow!! : )

Anonymous said...

Wishing you all the best, Kathy, as you head to Vinh Long and Adam.

JoanP

Heather said...

Have a great day meeting your precious son!

ShellyW said...

Can't wait to see pictures of you with your boy in Vinh Long! Good Times!

God Bless!

Julie said...

I can't to hear about meeting Adam. Enjoy!!!!

Ange said...

I just found your blog. I'm glad things are goig well & I look forward to the post after Vinh Long.

Rebecca & Steve said...

yay!! Kathy I am so glad you made it, and I loved hearing about your travels and CAN'T wait for your next post!!! Ella sends hugs to her birthday buddy all the way from good ol NJ! :)

Susie said...

hoping to see pics of adam in your arms soon! thinking of vinh long--be sure to pick up mooncakes and a lantern for adam to have for the moon festival!!! susier

Tricia and Kirk said...

I think that might have been our cyclo driver too ;) Can't wait to hear more!

Nadra said...

Glad you've made it. I'm assuming that Adam is officially yours now. I can't wait to see pictures and hear more stories.

Anonymous said...

Waiting here with bated breath!
Hope it's all going smoothly for you and Adam.
Carla

Cindy said...

Good luck with all the adjustments. I know it can be very difficult those first few days and weeks. I have two bio. kids and I still thought the adjustment was tough, espcially the sleeping issues. We're are kind of getting into a pattern now, I think. Just try to enjoy your time and don't worry about posting, site seeing or anything else you don't want to. I'm so glad you and Adam are finally together, or almost depending on your G&R. Enjoy!

S. said...

ok you are killing me here! hoping for an update when you can!

Jennifer said...

can't wait for your next post! waiting impatiently!!! hope its all going well!!r

Julie said...

We're all dying for an update. Hope you are just having a fantastic time with Adam and you just forgot about us :-)

Jessica said...

Are you ever going to post anything???

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure! And something I'm sure Adam will enjoy reading (as soon as he learns to read). Looking forward to seeing you soon. xo ANDY

P.S. Are all the word varifications tushdirty? No wait, I read it wrong. It's tusdiryt. Close enough . . .

ANDY said...

What a wonderful adventure, Kathy! And your account is something I'm sure Adam will enjoy reading (as soon as he learns to read). Looking forward to seeing you soon. xo ANDY

P.S. How did you manage to get the pre-posting word verification to be tushdirty? No wait, I read it wrong. It's tusdiryt. Close enough. Must have my mind on diapers . . .