"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Extremely cute appearance notwithstanding....

...Adam is struggling with the move to a new classroom and a new teacher this year. Last year, his entire class moved with him which eased the transition greatly after the first dramatic day. This year, they split his class into three different groups and there are also some 4 year olds in the class.

At the end of the first day, while telling me he didn't want to go back, he wailed dramatically of his new teacher "But I don't LOVE her..." I tried to tell him he had to give her more than one day before he loved her. LOL!

We're almost at the second week, though, and he's still having a hard time. I ask him if he LIKES his teacher, and he says he does. He says she is nice to him, and that he has fun. But he wants to go back to Mrs. Cherry's (last year's teacher)"school". Mrs. Cherry is right next door and his beloved Alfonsa is across the hall, but these things don't seem to be helping him. Its all very much on his mind -- he asked repeatedly over the weekend "No school today?"

Things are a little bit better -- he went from crying himself to sleep and waking up and crying the whole morning right up until the time I dropped him, to not crying until we get to the door of the classroom. I've heard that 3 is a common age for separation anxiety to recur, so I'm hoping this explains some of it. And we've been crazy busy and stressed the last two weeks so that's got to factor in, too. I'm just not sure at what point I decide that it isn't just a normal adjustment period, but that there is a problem somewhere. Maybe the end of the third week? What do you think?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't know what to say - except that I'm sorry to hear he is having such a hard time. That has to be so hard for you too.

I will let someone else weigh in on how long you wait for him to adjust. I just don't have enough experience!

Jason and Erin said...

Hmmm... maybe when the kid cries in the church nursery EVERY SUNDAY since he came home from Vietnam? That's us. We start school this week, and I'm more than a little nervous. Good luck to both boys!!!

Dianna said...

Have you talked to his current teacher about how he's doing during the day? 3 is also the age of drama, and our Vinh Long kiddos seem to have extra drama genes. It's possible that he's doing great at school, but recognizes the extra attention you're giving him because of the transition. Phoebe doesn't transition well AT ALL either - but I usually give her quite a while before I panic about it because I know it takes her so long to ease into things. I'm dreading the kindergarten transition already!

Jennifer said...

How are things going? Any better?