"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Monday, August 24, 2009

Everybody poops




That is, everybody except Adam. Adam's Giving and Receiving Ceremony was on a Monday; he didn't poop for the first time until that Saturday. I thought that perhaps I had checked a box marked "no pooping" on the list of special needs that I would accept in a child. Little did I know that was the norm for him.

He has continued to struggle with pooping. I read up on toddler constipation and did everything that was recommended, including dosing him with fiber. Nothing worked. His pediatrician didn't seem particularly concerned, suggesting dietary changes-- which would be great if he actually ate --and the occasional enema.

For several months, it was necessary to give him an enema about once a week when he became too uncomfortable. What fun that was! And, forgive me for having to share this, but they were MONSTER poops. The biggest I've ever seen!

Recently, he's been able to eventually move his bowels on his own, but it is a long and arduous process for him, days of trying and pushing. In an average walk around the block with the dog, Adam will stop and try to poop 3 or 4 times. It really was becoming an interference in our lives, on top of being just miserable for him.

A few weeks ago, Adam had Coxsackie virus and we went to the pediatrician and, by chance, saw a different doctor in the practice. Just because we were there anyway, I decided to mention the pooping thing to the doctor, who instantly replied "Yes, that is a problem and yes, we can fix it." I wanted to fall to the floor and kiss his feet.

We went back last week for the pooping consultation. When I picked Adam up from the orphanage, he was not eating solid foods,just formula and soup, at the age of 17 months. The doctor said that when a baby progresses normally through the stages of eating, from formula to soft baby foods and then to solid foods, the bowel progresses with it and "learns" how to handle each type of food. Adam skipped straight from liquid to solid and his bowel didn't make the transition correctly and needs to be "retrained". His colon is stretched and not contracting to push the poop out. Adam is getting it out through his own strength and that is why it takes so long and is so difficult for him. He said it will take likely take months, but that we will be successful.

So we are on Step 1 of the Pooping Project -- cleaning him completely out. He is on Miralax for two weeks after which we go back and learn about Step 2.

I'm feeling very relieved and optimistic. I think this process will help in several areas. The doctor said that Adam's poor eating is tied in to this and we should see a change as we progress. That could, in turn, impact his poor sleeping as he drinks easily 3 bottles overnight. I've been reluctant to deny him these bottles as he really doesn't eat much during the day.

The one down side is that the doctor says not to even consider toilet training him until the problem is resolved, but that's a small price to pay -- we've got the power of positive pooping on our side!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow - glad to hear that someone is able to help. It sounds like its been so hard for Adam. Poor little guy.

Holly also gets very constipated and I can't get her to eat much in the way of fruit or vegies. I wonder if she too ate mostly liquids at the orphanage. Doesn't sound like she has quite the problem that Adam does though.

I didn't realize Adam wasn't a big eater. Holly has gotten SOOO picky I don't know what to do.

Julie said...

I give Bennett prune juice once a week and that has helped a lot. I also find I have to make sure he has plenty of fruits and veggies.

Hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

B.E.C.K. said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear there's an explanation AND a solution! My son thinks I'm a bit weird for always asking him whether he pooped, but my own childhood experience with it has made me pretty attentive to the issue. Sending good wishes for healthy pooping! ;^)

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds terrible for him and you both! I'm glad there was someone who was willing to listen and work with you. That amount of constipation for that long of a time just isn't normal. I hope what the doctor tells you works. I also didn't know Adam didn't eat much. Hopefully, if his tummy feels better, he'll eat more too.