"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The neurologist who actually examined Adam...

We went to the pediatric neurologist yesterday. The neurologist was very thorough and spent a lot of time with us. Her opinion is he does not need the EEG -- with febrile seizures, the abnormal brain activity occurs during the seizure -- so doing an eeg now would be pointless. She also thought he doesn't need to be on the Phenobarbital -- she said it was unnecessary for him to be so heavily medicated all the time for something that might never happen again, or that could happen once a year. If the seizures recur with frequency, we can revisit that.

Basically, its just fever related, he'll outgrow it, and what I have to do is monitor him very closely for fever. Once he's at 101, its a problem. She gave me a prescription for a suppository (that ought to > be fun) that I am to give him to lower his fever once it reaches this point if Tylenol or Motrin doesn't bring it down quickly. So, it will be a little nervewracking, but it seems to not be as serious as it could have been.

He's fine. Me -- not so much! LOL!

Thanks to all for their support!

6 comments:

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Finally! Someone with a lick of sense!

Suppositories might not be any fun, but it will be better than a seizure for sure.

So happy to hear that things are looking up.

Lina said...

Thank goodness for your new neurologist! I was worried after what the first Doc. told you. That is a pretty heavy drug to have him on for such an extended period of time if it is not needed. He seemed so abrupt. And what a freak to yell out in the hallway like that.

I have to tell you that after reading your first post about the whole ordeal, I thought you handled it way calmer than I would have. I would have called an ambulance straight away and probably not have had an ounce of sanity in me to even find the number for a cab.

As far as the suppositories go, it's no problem at all. I had to do that for one of my kids - she's a puker as soon as she gets any temp at all and can't keep any meds down. That's usually how I know she has a fever - she throws up. The suppositories did wonders for her. I just kept a box of medical gloves on hand and a little vaseline.

Anonymous said...

So glad--sounds like a much better approach, and hopefully he will outgrow this tendency quickly. We want you to be a sane momma.

JoanP

Dianna said...

Yippee! I like this neurologist. She sounds like a common sense type of chicklet. Now take a deep breath mama!

Anonymous said...

Hope little Adam has bounced back! Our daughter had febrile seizures so I can relate to your recent weekend. We were told she would grow out of them and at four years old, it's been over a year now since her last. She recently had a 104 fever and we were probably the only parents in the world to celebrate such an event because she did not have a seizure. Hopefully this is your only adventure with febrile seizures. Joanie

Willis said...

Your weekend sounds really frightening. I'm so glad to hear he is doing better. We'll just pray and trust that he'll never have another episode like that again.

Heather W. (Rocco's mom)