"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mama has a playdate!

By herself! Hmmm....that doesn't sound right....let me explain. My office closes at 2 p.m. on Friday for the holiday weekend. I don't have to pick Adam up from daycare until about 5:15. I initially thought I would hit the mall with my free time. As I'm sure you all know, its next to impossible to try on clothes with a two year old in tow, so shopping for clothing for myself has been limited to one or two stores within walking distance of my office. But then I realized that the new Indiana Jones movie opens tomorrow and if I didn't see it Friday, I would have to wait until it comes out on DVD many months from now. I waffled for a day or two....Harrison Ford? Or new underwear?

And then it hit me! For the mere price of half a vacation day, I could have BOTH! Omigod! Shopping AND a movie! The last time I was in a mall....hmmm....November. I can't tell you the last movie I saw in a theater.

I have taken the occasional day off here and there while Adam is in daycare, but they've been either to catch up on sleep or get things done around the house that have backed up. This is the first time its just for FUN. I can't wait!

I haven't yet left Adam with a babysitter (other than daycare) for two reasons. We are apart nine hours a day during the week. I felt that was more than enough time, especially as our relationship was just developing. And Adam was also clearly NOT ready to be left. I'm still not sure he is completely ready, but he's closer than he's been. He's healthily attached and becoming secure in his new world. He's VERY social and outgoing. He has a little trouble with change -- on the few occasions where we've arrived at daycare to find his head teacher will be late and a backup waiting to greet him, he has been very upset and once cried until he threw up. So, I'm not sure he's ready. But Mama's ready to start thinking about an occasional movie or dinner out.

I'm going to start searching for babysitters and perhaps leaving him for an hour or two on a weekend afternoon and see how it goes.

I'm coming Indy!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

How fun! Enjoy your play time and say hi to Indy for me!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

LOL! I can sooooooo relate. I'm going to see Billy Joel in concert tomorrow night, and it's the first time I've been out by myself to do something fun since last December, when I went to my office Christmas party.

Enjoy that shopping trip, AND Indy!

Marie

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lina said...

Let us know how your day off was! What did you think of the movie?

Jackie42 said...

Have you ever seen the pictures of Stephen-Paul on thedeziels.blogspot.com ? He looks so much like your little guy. They come from different orphanages, Vinh Long and Vung Tau but they are both around the Mekong Delta Area. We are always wondering if our adopted children have siblings who are also adopted... just thought I'd mention it.
Jackie

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

Wow! Hope you had a BLAST! Indy's the best! :)