"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Good news and bad news...

The good news is I just received my log-in date -- March 28th. This means my dossier is logged in in Vietnam and all the formalities are proceeding. This is also the date they estimate travel from -- so, the earliest I would travel is the end of June. From what my agency tells me, traveling is averaging 4 months from log-in.

However, I was told 1-3 months for a referral -- and had one two days after going on the waiting list. I was told it would likely take 1-2 months for a log-in date -- and my log-in date is 23 days after my referral. I'm hoping that trend will carry through for travel as well!

The bad news -- a problem with my I-171H. The I-171H from the state of New Jersey does not have a space for a signature by a government official. Hanoi wants one. Anyone who has ever dealt with the Department of Homeland Security will understand how daunting a task this is. I searched their website for some time yesterday, trying in vain to find a phone number. There is no listing in the state of NJ. Good thing this wasn't a Homeland Security emergency! Finally found a number for the National Customer Service Center - what a joke. Got stuck in an endless loop of options, none of which had anything to do with the I-171H or led to an actual person. I finally chose to be transferred to a department that was not the right one, just hoping to get a person. I explained my story to her and asked for the phone number of the Newark office. Her response? "We don't have that information?" Huh? Are you kidding me? I found that very hard to believe. I could have understood "We're not allowed to give that information out", but "We don't have that information"? It is maddening. I have really been so patient through this long, stressful process and I suddenly felt like every last drop of patience I had was now completely used up now. I think the fact that yesterday was Adam's birthday wasn't helping my mood.

Thankfully, I whined on my assorted e-groups and two different people were able to come up with not only a phone number, but the name of a person to speak to. Of course, when I called, they weren't available, but at least its a start. I'm cautiously optimistic.

6 comments:

Daniel and Jamie said...

Yay on the LID! Good luck with the Dept. of Homeland Security! Hoping things get worked out soon.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the LID!

Have you tried emailing the USCIS? You can get the email addresses (specifically for adoption inquiries) online at USCIS.gov. Looks like the email for NJ is newadoption@dhs.gov

I had to email the St Paul, MN office last fall and I received a response the next day. The website says they will respond within 2 business days.

I hope you get it all straightened out!!

Dianna said...

Good luck Kathy. I agree with Rachel. If you can't get through to that real, live person, try the email address. I got a response within 48 hours when I had to email K.C. Of course, they didn't say anything I wanted to hear... but at least they responded!

Heather said...

So, I'm thinking our government really needs to get a handle on this stuff. Who do we write? :) Congrats on your LID.

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

LID! LID! LID! That is awesome news!

Unknown said...

Kathy,

I'm really excited for your progress. I had an LID on 3/28 too, but I'm far down the line waiting for a girl referral. At this point your LID means so much more! Good luck with the paperwork chase.

Kelly