"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Monday, May 18, 2009

I don't get it -- help me out here!

When Adam and I visited Meredith and met David, Alison and Maggie earlier this year, Adam was enamored of Maggie's baby doll. He changed its diaper, put it down for a nap....very cute. So, I looked around and found a male asian baby and stroller for him. He loves his baby (which he has named "Adam" - lol!) and will often bring him along when we walk the dog.

For reasons that escape me, strange men on the street seem to be compelled to make disparaging comments and criticize me for allowing my son to have a doll. Now, I am already bewildered by the fact that complete strangers will make ANY comments (other then complimentary ones) about Adam, but I am completely floored that 5 men have seen fit to stop us and criticize. One man sneered "Is he a girl or a boy?" Another said to me "You're fired." Still another tried to tell Adam the doll was for girls only. My standard response has been "He's learning to be a good daddy."

So what the heck is it? Why are men so threatened by this?

7 comments:

Marie said...

Nothing wrong with that! He'll be a great Dad someday. He's a very loving and nurturing little guy. I think it's cute that he named his baby Adam. Sophia has several dolls, one being a 10-inch floppy-bodied baby doll that she calls "Baby Sophia." She also has "Samanfa" (an American Girl doll, pronunciation gone wrong!), and they are sisters!

Kathy said...

I never thought of punching! That might work! LOL!

Anonymous said...

What jerks! My brother had a "my buddy" doll that was marketed for boys back in the 80's. There is no problem with it at all. I once dated a guy that freaked out about his son playing with my daughter's dress-up clothes. It's not a big deal - obviously the rude men you have come across are the ones with issues.

Jennifer said...

That is such a shame - I certainly hope Adam isn't processing the comments. I think its great that he has a doll.

B.E.C.K. said...

I love your response: "He's learning to be a good daddy." My initial response would probably be considerably less...constructive. ;^) Your son is a very lucky boy to have you as his mama.

Anonymous said...

Some men are just idiots and feel their manhood (or your son's) is somehow threatened by things like this.
My real question is, where were you able to find a male Asian baby doll? I've been looking for one for my son for months! (BTW, my husband is fine with it!)

Julie said...

That's just wrong. We let Bennett play with dolls. There's nothing wrong with that. Would love to know where you found a boy asian doll. I would like to get one for Bennett.