"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Boundaries on Board

Adam is a very social and affectionate child. He will happily blow kisses at you, high five you, sit on your lap, hug you. However, with the exception of his teachers, he draws the line at being picked up by other people. Even people he knows quite well and sees often. I suspect he harbors a fear of someone picking him up and carrying him away from his life with me -- which is exactly what I did to him last September. I respect that boundary and warn other people about it.

Recently, I brought Adam into my office for our annual Ice Cream Party. They turn the salad bar in the cafeteria into a sundae fixings bar, and there's ice cream, hot pretzels, cookies, balloons, music and some sort of fun activity for the kids. It's my favorite day of the work year.

One of my co-workers asked if she could pick Adam up. I replied that I would prefer that she wouldn't as he would scream. Well, she bent right down and picked him up and YES, he screamed. She looked stunned and said "Oh, I thought I would have the magic touch." Sigh.

No comments: