"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Monday, April 28, 2008

Slow and easy wins the race

Its been three weeks since I started the process of transitioning Adam into his own crib. I didn't want it to be abrupt or traumatic for him, realizing he'd probably never slept in a room alone before, so I spent about 10 days sleeping on the floor beside the crib. Then I moved to the couch, which is just outside his bedroom door, and spent another week there. I just spent the second night in my own bed, just me and the pup, for just about the first time in seven months! During this process, Adam's sleeping gradually improved. I can hardly believe I can say this, but he's now waking up ONLY once or sometimes twice a night! What a HUGE difference this has made for both of us!

I've noticed that when I am going through something very difficult or stressful, my survival skills take over and I just plow through. I know on some level that I'm having a hard time, but I don't consciously realize just how bad it is until AFTER.

The changes over the past 3 weeks made me realize that Adam and I were both sort of hunkered down in that survival mood these first few months together. Doing what we had to do -- bonding, getting to know each other, adjusting to our new lives together -- and just getting through it. Through the months we've had a lot of fun and a lot of love, but, somehow, there was a difference I can't quite put my finger on.

But there's been a sea change. Everything feels different. Easier. More like we are just "being" with each other, just enjoying and loving each other with no other agenda. Major adjustments are complete and we are just.....a family.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this just has me crying my eyes out at my desk! I'm so glad that the sleeping is better and that you've found this place of peace together. How awesome, and how far you've come from the screaming baby of Vinh Long. :)

Meredith

Anonymous said...

Well, this just has me crying my eyes out at my desk! I'm so glad that the sleeping is better and that you've found this place of peace together. How awesome, and how far you've come from the screaming baby of Vinh Long. :)

Meredith

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Ahh, blissful sleep. So happy to hear that you have finally settled in.

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

Thanks for this one! With all the yuckiness this week, I keep feeling the need to see more of the real picture of adoption - just the families being together. So glad for you.

By the way, if you want to send anything to VL, I'm happy to carry.

Paula

Marie said...

What! No new pictures with this awesome post?

Marie

Stacy And Scott said...

Our boys are about the same age, but we have been home almost a year. I have noticed the same things that you are talking about. I also know that Howie just needs his own space at night, so I hope that it all gets better for you.