"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progess and baby steps

A million thank yous to the people who suggested adding rice cereal to the nighttime bottle! The first night I tried it, Adam slept from 6:30 until midnight, then 2 a.m. until 6:15 am. A HUGE difference. Last night he slept from midnight to 7 a.m.

We went on our first outing yesterday -- a friend who lives in Myrtle Beach was in Atlantic City for a few days so I rented a car and headed down for the day. After screaming bloody murder the entire way home from the airport in the car seat, I wasn't expecting a pleasant trip, but the boy surprised me. We had a little fussing for the first 10 minutes in the car seat, then he settled in and alternated sleeping and looking out the window for the rest of the two and a half hour drive. He did protest loudly the last 15 minutes or so of the trip, but I can't blame him for that! He'd been so patient and had finally had enough. He loved walking on the boardwalk and we had a lot of fun.


I was talking to my friend and another friend of hers about my concern about Adam's eating habits and her friend said something that made a lot of sense to me. Since all he was having in the orphanage was formula and soup, I can't expect him to eat like an 18 month old -- but rather like a much younger baby just adding solids to his diet. It was like the proverbial light going off in my head. So I'm going to relax a bit about it.

5 comments:

2ones said...

Two and half hours in the car is EXCELLENT, I'd say. I'd be surprised if Lucas could do that yet. We haven't tried anything that long lately, for fear of horrific meltdowns.
And it's fabulous to hear that he's starting to sleep better. Hopefully he'll get the idea soon that the screaming is unnecessary. Then maybe he'll explain it to my guy!
Carla

Dianna said...

I'm sure you and Adam were both ready for a change of scenery! How wonderful that he's sleeping for you again. A well-rested mama is a happy mama!

Heather M. said...

So glad you are both doing well. I brought my boys home at 18 months & they were mostly still on bottle, yogurt, rice, oatmeal, rice cereal & mashed potatos/sweet potato mashed as well, for a good 3 months before they would venture out much on foods. Good Luck & Hope you have a great weekend. The trip sounds like FUN! Isn't it nice to do "normal things" with a kiddo in tow! It puts such a new light on every day things! Heather M.

Dan and Elisabeth said...

Kathy I just caught up on reading about your journey. And you make me laugh! I love your description of the Visa picture. What great memories to share with Adam as he gets older! We are still working with Noah on his eating. It takes time. I can't wait to read how the trip went. What fun!

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

Kathy -

I'm so glad that you are sleeping better! It's SOOOO much easier to do everything without that sleepless deep fog feeling! :) Will was a music lover, so I could often get more carseat time if I played some softish music for him - I just had to watch out, because the lullabies put me to sleep more than him! :) Keep on having fun!