"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A baby...via email!

What an odd thing -- to get an email and know it contains an attachment with a picture and information about a baby 8,892 miles away who will become your child! And what a long, strange road to get to that moment! That moment came for me, at long, long last, on March 5, 2007. The first picture I saw of my almost 11 month old son.

The whole experience was surreal -- I had only been on the waiting list two days and had just been told the day before it would likely be 1-3 months before I got my referral. When I got the message that Katie from Dillon International had called, I was convinced there was some error in my paperwork, or some new bureaucratic loophole I needed to jump through. I didn't dare dream that this was "the" call all prospective adoptive parents long for. I was completely off balance for the whole call -- I was also thrown by the fact that he was 10 months old already -- I had been expecting a younger baby. I didn't know what to ask or what to say, other than that I wanted to see a picture.

An email quickly followed and I opened it with a shaking hand, scrolling quickly past his birth certificate and other legal documents looking for the picture. It wasn't there, but a second email quickly followed and there he was. The minute I looked at his beautiful, solemn little face staring right into the camera, he was mine.

6 comments:

Charlene said...

Finding out who my child was -- that was the most magical time in my life and the best thing that ever happened to me. Treasure these moments and all the moments that will come. Life is about to reveal the most incredible things.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoy reading about "the call" as I wait! I hope your TA comes quickly. Congratulations!!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

How nice of "Anonymous" to post such a lovely and kindhearted comment. Sheesh. Some people are just rude!

Nice looking blog, Kathy! I look forward to following your journey.

: ) jjm (JessicaJ from Dillon Forum)


www.bringinghomebe.blogspot.com
www.cafepress.com/bringinghomebe

Anonymous said...

children are molested, kidnapped and abused each day from internet connections this is crazy to post pictures

Heather said...

Congratulations on your beautiful son!

Kathy said...

note for anonymous - thank you for your concern abotu the safety of children. However, this child is currently 9,000 miles away in Vietnam. Once he is home, I don't plan to post our address, his daycare address, our schedule -- so how is he possibly at risk? Also, please don't hide behind "anonymous" - if you have something to say that you feel strongly about, you should have no problem identifying yourself.