"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Adam is three

After my whining and complaining post of yesterday, I thought I should take the time to celebrate the magical , amazing 3 year old that Adam is. (90% of the time!)


It astonishes me how fast it is all going -- how can he possibly be three already? He's now been home longer than he was in the orphanage, which seems incredibly significant somehow.

He is very bright and incredibly verbal with a memory that astounds me. He can tell you the color of every car we've rented and where we went in each car. And he often does. He likes to go over and over his memories, often starting out sentences with "Mommy, remember....."

He is the most social child I've ever know, interested in everybody. He talks ALL THE TIME. His current career aspiration is to be a taxi driver, drive people to the airport, and help them with their suitcases. Its good to have a plan! He lives for his cars, trains, trucks, buses -- anything with wheels! Yet he also has a baby doll (asian boy) that he cares for tenderly, feeding him, changing his diaper, talking him for walks in the stroller. (Which reminds me -- we were out walking the other day and Adam was pushing the doll in the stroller and some complete stranger rather derisively asked "Is he a girl or a boy?" Rather than simply punching him in his ignorant head, I snapped back "He's learning to be a good father." and we went on our way. Seriously. What is wrong with people?)

Loves The Wiggles, Little Bear, Madagascar and Thomas. Adores the movie Mamma Mia (?) and is now getting into The Music Man. He is a big fan of the musical!

We're still struggling with sleep - on an average night he wakes 3 times, andd with eating. Its like the child lives on air. He does now eat at school, two meals and two snacks, so that's an improvement. He weighs a whopping 25 pounds.

He has a terrific sense of humor and is great company. His empathy is developing nicely -- when I was coughing the other night he said "Poor mama! I buy you medicine tomorrow!"

And then there's the control thing-- but sometimes I actually win now. he strongest will I've ever known. While he is still completely capable of the 5 hour temper tantrum, they are much less frequent and further between. He's old enough now to understand "No, but we can do it later..." or "We don't have any, but we can buy some tomorrow"...

I am honored, humbled, and delighted every day (well, almost every day - LOL!) to be his mother.

No comments: