"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Monday, March 9, 2009

So I know this is weird....

....but I am compelled to share it anyway. I was tickling Adam the other day when my fingers suddenly arrived at his belly button, the same, cute little belly button I've seen a million times before. This time, for some reason, I was struck by two powerful emotional blasts -- the first was a real grief and sense of loss that Adam hadn't grown in my body, that we had not been connected at his beautiful little belly button. I was still reeling with that pain when the second wave hit me -- this very real evidence of his connection to his birth mother! And how she (and her husband) had made the difficult decision to give him up having had this connection....Had I not already been emotionally doubled over, this would have done it!

And yet...this is nothing I didn't know intellectually. I don't know why it hit me so viscerally now.....

See, I told you this was weird.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very weird that you posted this, because I was just thinking about my kids' belly buttons the other day. I was wondering if I might tell them later that they could just touch their belly buttons if they wanted to feel a connection to their birth moms. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's weird at all. Sometimes when Parker and I are doing body parts I tell him how his belly button used to be connected to his VietNam mommy.

Lina said...

That's not weird at all. I have thought the same thing. My girls were talking about belly buttons yesterday - G~ just discovered that A~ has one and loves to poke at it. A~ asked me why we had one and as I explained it to her, it got me thinking about the very same thing you wrote about. I feel a sense of loss for him when I think about that. And for her as well.

Lina
http://snipssnailsandpuppydogtails.wordpress.com

Jennifer said...

Doesn't sound weird to me. I imagine as adoptive parents - we will have moments like this as we raise our children. It sounds like a pretty difficult moment to me though. Hope you are doing okay.