"Before we met, I wanted you...Before I found you, I loved you...Before I touched your face, I would die for you...This is the miracle of love."

How Old is Adam?

Lilypie

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Adoption guilt....not so much

I follow quite a number of adoption blogs regularly and am always following links to other blogs, specific posts, and articles or sites of interest and I've noticed a lot of writing on the subject of guilt on the part of adoptive parents. Guilt about their children losing their birth culture, guilt over the the pain of the birthparents, guilt that their children have lost their birthparents, guilt that their children will have to deal with all the issues surrounded international adoptees, inability to fully enjoy their child's birthday because they feel guilty that the birthmother must be suffering on this date....a whole universe of guilt that I just....don't understand.

Let me first say that I am NOT belittling these feelings or the sincerity and caring of those expressing them. Nor do I intend to minimize these very important issues and their impacts on our children or the losses they have to deal with. But I just cannot relate to them or even understand the guilt.

There are some losses that seem, to me, be balanced by gains. For example, the loss of their birth culture. There is a corresponding gain of an entirely new culture, with new possibilities and opportunities that never would have presented themselves otherwise. I can't see feeling guilty about this. I think this loss can be somewhat mitigated by exposing the children to their birth cultures and keeping it alive for them.

The larger and more primal loss is, of course, that of the birth family. I CERTAINLY feel empathy and even some grief for my son's loss and all that he will have to process.

I have tremendous sympathy and compassion for Adam's birth family and think of them often. He has two living birthparents and older siblings. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be in a position where you are faced with the decision to give up your child. Nor can I imagine spending the rest of my life missing him. But, guilt? Not an ounce or a drop.

In a perfect world, people would never have to make such decisions based on monetary or cultural pressure. But we live in an imperfect world. I truly believe that when his parents made the heartrending, loving decision to place him for adoption, that THIS was the outcome they hoped for. That if they couldn't raise him, that he would find his way to someone who could, who would love him more than life. I'm so glad that someone was me.


8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for this post. At times, I have gotten caught up in that guilt. Glad to read your balanced view on this. Very helpful.

Heather M. said...

I have no adoption guilt...I think that we were meant to be the parents who raise our children. I think their birth-parents think of them often & wonder how they are...I wonder if they ever hear. I think of them on their birthdays & other times throughout their lives; when they do something that comes from withing that they have not been taught; that is their nature. I have adoption curiosity...not adoption guilt! I hope that someday they are curious & want to visit Vietnam so I have a good excuse to go back!

Happy Holidays
Your little boy is precious!

Heather M.

Laura said...

I'm with you. Well put!

Marie said...

Most excellent post! Life is what it is, and everyone must learn to deal with that. Like Heather, I have "adoption curiosity" - I would love to meet the birthparents of all three of my children, because I want to see where they got their beauty, their intelligence, their humor, their everything. But guilt? No!

Peter and Jamie Pham said...

Hi, found your site in google. I don't have guilt either, just feel sad that our baby girl's mom will not know what a wonderful and beautiful person she is. The birth family was given every opportunity to take her back but they didn't want her and we did. Our baby girl is where she should be and loved by the people she was meant to be loved by.

Anonymous said...

I like the "adoption curiosity" comment. I think if you knew your child's birthparents, or at least knew of them, it may be easier. It's just the not knowing that kills me sometimes. I guess I feel bad that Binh won't know his birthparents most likely. I don't feel guilt for him being in my family. I know his life is better than living in an orpahange. I just have feelings I never knew I would have about him not being in Asia, not knowing his birthparents, or if he has siblings (other than my daughter).

Lina said...

Well said.

Michelle said...

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but sometimes I think some APs like the drama of the guilt (as well as the controversies relating to international adoption) or they just naively get caught up in it. I don't feel any of it either. Empathy for his birth family and fear for the potential angst my son might suffer as a result of his relinquishment and adoption, absolutely. But guilt? Not for a second.